Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Recent Reads v3

Time for another recent reads! I've been reading like crazy this summer and I have basically checked out the whole entire library. I have about 15 library books sitting on my shelf waiting to be ready by the beginning of July. I get a bit overambitious and check everything out at once because I don't want to wait.

So here are the books I've read in the past few weeks and my thoughts about them. And I'm warning you now there were a lot!

Blood Red Road (Moira Young): I enjoyed this book. At first I was weary to read it because people said the language was hard to get in to. There isn't any punctuation or quotations when people are speaking but I got used to it very quickly. The story was fast paced and never dull so that was a plus. It was a decent book. I'll definitely read the sequel. The end however, didn't leave me DYING to read the next one, there was no cliff hanger.

City of Bones (Cassandra Clare): Great book! I didn't really want to read this because there are some crazy fans of this book and crazy fans make me nervous. But it was a good book and a good story and I want to read the next book to find out what else happens. It was very twilighty magic love triangle typical young adult fiction but it was good. I'd recommend it.

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini): Amazing, completely and utterly amazing. I loved the characters, I bonded with the characters, I hated the characters. It was great. A great story and plot and I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I would go out and buy this and read it again for sure.

The Violets of March & The Bungalow (Sarah Jio): These books are great, easy, fun reads. They both have good plots and they are the types of books I would bring on a beach vacation and just relax and enjoy the story. I didn't have to think a lot but I still connected with the story and the characters.

Delirium (Lauren Oliver): This was another good book. I've been really into dystopian literature lately and this was definitely it. The ending definitely made me want to read the next one to find out what happened and what is going to happen. I like it even if it did start out a LITTLE slow and dragged on. Hopefully the second one will be more fast paced.

Schindler's List (Thomas Keneally): I'm not going to lie. I expected to love this because I love everything with information about the Holocaust. But I was bored and I had to force myself to get through the pages. I just felt it was dense and I really don't know what I was hoping it would be. I'm going to watch the movie and maybe that will allow me to love it more.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Mary Ann Shaffer): LOVED IT. I heard wonderful things about this book and it didn't fail me. The story is written in letters but it made it even better. It was cute and funny and the story was great. I definitely want to buy this book as well and reread it as many times as possible. It's another fast and easy read.

We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lionel Shriver): I was warned ahead of time that this book starts out really slow and it's hard to get into. Which was true. It took me until about halfway before I really wanted to keep reading. But it was so worth it. The ending was just .. wow. I couldn't even believe it. Wonderful story. I can't wait to watch the movie and I hope it does it justice.

Lone Wolf (Jodi Picoult): I love everything Jodi Picoult and I just realized I've been saying her last name wrong. It's PICOOOOO, and I've pronounced it PI-COLT. Sigh. It depressed me that I was wrong but I will just keep saying it the wrong way. Anyway, the story was good and I learned things I never knew before which I always do with her books. It wasn't as good as her last two but I never have a bad thing to say about her. Every one of her books keeps me interested and wanting to keep turning the pages until I finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment