Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recent Reads v4 (part 1)

There are so many books I've read lately. I can't get enough. I have six books in my Amazon cart to purchase and I am trying so hard to convince myself to wait (and to not add any more!). However, I've read so many books since my last recent reads post and I thought it'd be a good time to update everyone with my thoughts! 

I am going to have to break this up into two parts because I read a lot more books than I initially thought since the last update. And yes, I am aware I've been really into dystopian books lately!

Okay for Now (Gary Schmidt): This was a cute and easy read. The main character is a young boy who befriends another young girl in his new town and learns a lot about himself while he's there. I get so mad for him because his family pushes him around a lot but he eventually figures things out. All in all, I enjoyed it and it was a quick read.

Carly's Voice (Arthur Fleischmann): SUCH A GOOD BOOK. I actually heard about it because Ellen Degeneres tweeted something about Carly's website. And when I went there is had a link to a book her father wrote about what it was like raising a severely autistic girl and how when she finally learn to communicate it was so eye opening. If anyone has ever worked with special education children, more specifically children with autism, this book will change how you look at them forever. I highly recommend this book to anyone, even people who don't have an interest in it because it just makes you see everything so differently. 

Cinder (Marissa Meyer): I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was such an original story (despite having similar Cinderella undertones, it was definitely not obvious) and I am beyond excited for the second. Unfortunately, I have to wait a year or so. However, if you like dystopian books and interesting characters this book is definitely for you.

Pandemonium (Lauren Oliver): This book really threw me for a loop and I'm pissed I have to wait for long for the next one. I grew so close to a certain character in the first book and was kind of mad how things began to progress in the second one and finally when I got comfortable IT FREAKING CAME OUT OF NO WHERE. Such a good book though, much more action than the first one and I like that it kept going back to the past and then to the present until it was all caught up.

If You Ask Me (Betty White): This book was cute and it was interesting learning about Betty White's life but I thought it would be a lot more humorous. 

Legend (Marie Lu): This book I decided to read on a whim not ever having heard about it before and I'm super glad I did. I really enjoyed this story. I loved the characters and the plot and there was always something going on so it never had any dull parts. Definitely looking forward to reading the other books as they come out!

Matched (Ally Condie): I liked this book enough, it was a bit slow until the end so I'm excited to read the second one (which I heard was better) and see what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment