Monday, July 30, 2012

Recent Reads v4 (part 2)

I'm continuing last weeks recent reads post finally, SORRY! I always say I'm going to post soon and then I get distracted. We're on vacation currently. Visiting the future brother-in-law and his fiance at their house in North Carolina. My mister's mother, sister, and nephew are here too. But here are the other dozens of books I've read in the past months or so.

Shatter Me (Tahereh Mafi) - This book, I liked it enough but I thought it was going to be a lot better. The beginning was slow. It picked up more at the end which made it a lot better but if I do read the second one I hope it ends up with more going on.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (Mindy Kaling) - This was such a funny book. It made me appreciate her and her acting a lot more. She is a sincerely good comedian. Everyone should read this book. It's a great light summer read.

Happy Accidents (Jane Lynch) - I thought this book was going to be more of a funny book like Mindy's however it was much more of a memoir. It was still really good because I learned quite a lot about Jane's life and what she has gone through to become such a famous actress.

The Soldier's Wife (Margaret Leroy) - I put off reading this book thinking it wasn't going to be really great. I almost brought it back to the library without reading it many times. However it was a nice read. Worthwhile if you're into those kinds of stories. It was enjoyable enough.

Divergent (Veronica Roth) - I'm so glad I bought this series because I loved it. It was definitely a book I'll recommend to people who like dystopian genre books. I loved all the characters and the plot and the story line was different and I was completely hooked from the start.

Insurgent (Veronica Roth) - Another great one. This had me on the edge of my seat and I almost had to flip to the back to see how it would end. Of course it ended and I cannot possibly wait for the third now. I hate not knowing what's going to happen! I hope the third is as great as the past two are.

The Surrogate (Leonard Foglia) - I won this book off goodreads and was so excited that the authors signed the copy and wrote a little personal message to me. However the story was alright. Very predictable. I know that there are other books where the content may be more original, however I don't know if I'm even going to bother reading them.

Between The Lines (Jodi Picoult) - I'll read anything by Jodi Picoult and I was worried to read this because I knew she wrote it with her daughter and it was more of a young adult fairy tale. However the story line and plot is one I've always loved and grew up reading books like this when I was little (i.e., The Doll People). I love the imagination that went into this book. Once again, Jodi Picoult can do wrong in my eyes.

The Paris Wife (Paula McLain) - Great book! I didn't know a lot about Hemingway, although I enjoy some of his literature. But I loved learning about his life through the eyes of his first wife. I really sympathized for her and the amount of love she showed for Hemingway.

The Psychopath Test (Jon Ronson) - I thought this book was going to be a lot different than what it was. It was alright, interesting and made me think about the people I interact with. I just wish it was more of a story and flowed better.

No comments:

Post a Comment